Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I killed a chicken...

So I have always felt like if I can't kill my own food I shouldn't be eating it..... So coming here I hoped to have a chance to kill my own food, just to prove to myself that I can do it and I can justify eating meat. So there is a tienda that is across the street from where we stay in Cota, which we love to hang out at. After getting to know the woman who owned it, I told her about how I really wanted to kill a chicken. She said that I could help her do it on Saturday. The whole neighborhood knew the next day that I was going to kill a chicken. They kind of thought I was crazy (even though they have all done it before) but they loved asking me questions about it.

So Saturday arrived and I was so nervous. I thought I would chicken out (pun intended).... I kept thinking about it and telling myself "you eat this all the time.... its just like killing a bug.... the chicken is not smart enough to realize what's going on, etc..." I tried to convince myself that it was no big deal.

So the time came. She asked if I wanted to ring its neck or cut it's head off and I thought the chopping method would be easier. I know its bloody but I cannot imagine wringing its neck and feeling all the bones breaking, etc.... Blood I can deal with.

First she did it while I held the chicken. She told me to hold it tight and then she started cutting. The chicken was flapping and wriggling as she sawed off the head. It continued to flap after the head was disconnected. She actually had to grab it from me because I couldn't hold it. It was pretty bloody, but not too bad. After this, I thought I could do it.

Now, I had the knife, she was holding the chicken. I plucked off some feathers from the top of its head to make it easier to cut. "DURO" she said as I put the knife to its head. I chopped/sawed as hard as I could. I must have hit some kind of artery because this time the head fell completely to the ground and blood began spraying everywhere. The wings were flapping like crazy. I looked down on the ground at the head and it was still moving... it sadly stuck its tongue out and then closed its mouth and eyes. The chicken slowly stopped flapping and there it was. Dead. I had done it! I felt extremely liberated. I knew I could do it. I helped her pluck it and ate it for lunch, but I have to say it was  definitely not the best chicken I've ever had.... but I killed it!!!!! :)











6 comments:

  1. Next time try wringing it's neck! I'm very proud of you and love the description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I am impressed!! I like the park about the chicken head. I couldn't do it- I just posed for a picture with a dead chicken and claimed I killed it. You are pretty badass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. QUE POLLO POBRECITO! Are you sure you don't want to be a vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job Shantron! i am going to read this to Jack Henry and hope it does not scar him for life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt shannon- You have a chicken in a garage! - Jack Henry

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome. I am very impressed that you (bloodily) followed through on your conviction.

    ReplyDelete