Friday, February 18, 2011

Creatures who decide our home is their home...

I cannot even describe the amount of creatures that invade our home on a daily basis... I wanted to share some of the glorious visits we have received from various creatures....

ANTS..... ants are the number one invader of our home.... Giant ants live in the walls... They came pouring out of my friends' wall when they sprayed RAID on a couple roaming around the floor... then hundreds emerged. They're room was reeking of the smell of RAID, when we were done conquering them. They also live in our kitchen... no matter how much we clean, there is always that one crumb, or that one miniscule drop of juice or that one smell that they can sense from miles away. I have gotten used to cutting my vegetables amongst ants scurrying around and having to brush off ants from my hands and arms when making cereal. I'm certain that I kill hundreds a day... They also emerge when any kind of animal or bug dies... they swarm the animal and carry it away faster than I have ever seen.




FROGS.... frogs are EVERYWHERE. I have found frogs on the toilet, in the shower, in my sink, on my bed, on my roommate's bed, in my closet, on my wall, on the couch, in my classroom, etc, etc, etc.... All I can say is thank goodness I have a mosquito net now... I feel so safe and secure not having to worry about waking up with a frog on my face. However, I don't mind the frogs so much because they eat all the bugs. I'd rather have frogs in my room than get eaten alive. I have become quite the expert at catching these sneaky little guys.



GECKOS.... these are everywhere, too. They come in all different sizes... I've seen some the size of my big toe and some the size of my foot... I have seen some with tails and some without. I have to say these are probably my favorite of the creatures. I think of them as friends coming to say hi. I never mind a visit from a friendly little gecko :)


IGUANAS.... I have only seen a couple.... here is one we found in the sink. I hear that they are everywhere and can grow to three feet long... I think my heart might jump if I saw one that big. These iguanas are not so friendly and they kind of freak me out a bit.


WASPS.... my oh my they want to take over our home and will not give up... they make nests everywhere... in one day they took over the entire entrance to our home.... the whole side of the door was black (as you can see in the picture)... it really still gives me chills to think about. Although I have gotten used to the wasps flying around me often and it does not bother me as much as it used to... this was just out of control. I couldn't believe it... really.... out. of. control.


A couple of other creatures not pictured.....

RATS... rats have rummaged through our bread... I have not seen it but there is definite evidence of them in our home. They manage to tear open the bread bag and nibble nibble nibble... one was found two nights ago in one of the teacher's rooms.... they killed it with a broom. UGH, so gross.

SNAKES.... a snake was also found three nights ago in one of the teacher's rooms... Snakes are all over the place and I get nervous whenever I walk in an area with long grass.... snakes are one of my least favorite animals of all time... they terrify me.

and of course...

MOSQUITOS.... there is really no getting around it, they are just everywhere.

So far, those are the creatures who live with us in our home, and I hope that this will be it, but somehow...... I seriously doubt it.

4 comments:

  1. Reading this makes me so anxious, I feel like bugs are crawling all over me now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, I will NEVER set foot in Columbia after seeing this! And I thought Florida was bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MANNNNN! that is grosssss, i'm so glad you have a mosquito net now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this is during the wet, or rainy, season. It should get better in the dry season, I understand.
    Courage, amiga, what can you learn from the natives and how they cope? Blessings on you.
    Boppa

    ReplyDelete